Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Missed Opportunities are Still Opportunities- For Someone Else

Heya Blogfans,

It has been a crazy week here at Hubris House. I know, that's like saying "oh the sun is bright" or "snow is cold."

News on the freelance front? Mais ouis! Not really great news but news nonetheless. 

Although it will be published, I still haven't been paid for the magazine article submitted in August. That's fairly troublesome since I already spent some of the money (on seriously fabulous shoes- they were on sale). No clue why they are so slow to pay- they sure were uptight about my deadline (submitted the piece 1 day early so WTF?) but they don't seem to be unduly concerned about paying me in a timely manner. Talking to  other freelancers has been educational- apparently paying writers is anathema to some clients. Weird, I know but the writing world is a weird place

Also missed a chance to be on NPR. I made a comment on one of their FB posts and they sent an email asking me to read my comment >on air< that wasn't received by my subtle self until the day after they wanted to do interviews. That was a tad heartbreaking actually- it was a pretty good comment and think of the dork cred of being on NPR! *That* was a missed opportunity for sure although really I don't know what I could have done differently- it's not like I knew they sent me a message since I wasn't notified that I even had a message (argh FB, argh!)  So frustrating. When I screw up I like to be a little more involved in the process.

Not that I'm giving up on the freelance thing (or NPR- I *will* be on there someday hopefully being interviewed by Terry Gross or Ira Glass). Maybe I'm screwing up- there is a pretty significant learning curve- but at least I'm seeing some of my work in print. Sometimes I get paid too which is nice. The paper always pays me in a timely fashion (thank you!) and I don't get rewritten much so that's cool. See it isn't all bad. 

As for fiction writing (my main goal- it's hard to remember sometimes) it is actually going pretty well. I'm not sure if it's the confidence I've gained form seeing my work in print or the fact that I have to challenge myself by constantly writing to requirement but whatever it is it's working. Happy face.


Whew. So that's what's happening here at Hubris House. 

Until next time,
S.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment