Search This Blog

Monday, February 7, 2011

Apologies and Retraction

For multiple reasons (not the least of which being a string of Karmic, agent delivered, slaps in the face) I have retracted my post "The Unbearable Dullness of Certain Scottish Authors: Why Do I Read Thee?"

I offer my most sincere apologies for any offense, discomfort, or uncomfortable moments of self doubt I might have caused Mr. Alexander McCall Smith or his devoted fans.

Mr. McCall Smith- these were just bitter words from an envious wanna be writer. I will still read all of your books and I will try not to do things like plead for the past few hours of my life back or throw the book (gently) in disgust.I am so sorry if I offended you in any way. Please find it in your heart to forgive this humble blogger.

For devoted fans of McCall Smith I offer this apology: You will find few other authors who have the power to move you quite the same way as he does.You will not be unduly overstimulated or mentally aroused by anything you find in his works but you may, occasionally, be moved to tears. Obviously I am jealous of his skillful storytelling and utter awesomeness. I have shown my worst side to you and I am sorry.

I stand by my reverence for Ian Sansom. If you haven't read any of his novels please do check him out. Bashing Mr. McCall Smith will not shoot Mr. Sansom to the top of the best seller list and it was misguided of me to believe that there was any correlation at all.

My most humble apologies,
S.H.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this. I did read your previous blog and I must admit I found it very upsetting, although I did not mention it to anybody. Of course I understand that not everybody likes my books or me - it could not be otherwise! You don't have to apologise to me, but the fact that you have is appreciated, and I completely accept your apology and thank you for it. With my very best wishes, Alexander McCall Smith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again I do apologize.

    As a wanna be writer I know how horrible it feels when someone trashes you and your work and it was wrong to assume that money and fame alleviate the pain.I probably would not say these things to your face and I was wrong to say them within the fragile anonymity of my, uhum, humble blog. If this is any consolation: my readership almost doubled when you read my post... (yes, I have fewer than a few readers)

    My most humble apologies yet again,
    S.H.

    P.S. And, if you are not in fact Mr. McCall Smith you have taught me a valuable lesson. Thanks- please allow me to repay the favor someday.

    ReplyDelete