Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Good, the Bad, and the Really, Really Ugly

Hey ho blogfans.

Sorry about my absence last week. Computer troubles have plagued the House of Hubris yet again. But everything is going to be okay (in case you were worried.)

One may note that my reading list has not been updated in quite some time. I'd like to assure you that I am still reading but just don't feel like recommending any of the books I've been reading lately since I didn't finish most of them. Blah. I grabbed a bunch of stinkers off the "new books" shelf when I last visited the library. Fortunately, young master Hubris took out a couple Terry Pratchett books so I haven't been completely bookless.

And I have gone hat knitting crazy. Not exciting I know but I've been working out a couple of plot points and knitting helps. Writing would have been better but, well, the computer was (as I mentioned previously) out of commission. I'm not a pen and paper kinda gal since I can never exactly read what I've written and it becomes useless as soon as pen touches the page.

I discovered (well, a facebook friend posted a link and I clicked on it ) a wonderful blog- slushpile hell- soooooo funny. I think I love that agent. I know I love the blog. If you're interested in writing, and/or have ever tried to compose a query letter, it's worth checking out. I think his humor goes beyond the query but then again qureying is my life so I'm not exactly objective.

That's a weird statement- querying is my life- because it is both true and untrue at the same time. The actual time I've spent querying has been maybe 16 hours. The time I've spent researching, composing, editing, and thinking about querying could easily take up a full time position at any company.

 So, with luck, the rest of this week will be productive. I still have two short stories to finish and send out before I lose myself in the next book. I may try writing two at the same time. We'll see. One is a middle grade book (step below teen) and one is, uhum, very adult. I won't write the next book in the KMS series until I sell the first book. It's in my head and pretty much ready- I just need to research local laws- but I'm not going to spend time on it until I'm out of other things to write. Remember- I'm not writing for fun. This is my career even if, so far, it's not exactly lucrative. I can write for fun when the dream dies (probably never)


Well that's it for me. Have a wonderful week blogfans!

Yours,
S.H.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment