Search This Blog

Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Best Laid Plans

Howdy blogfans!

As usual it has been an interesting week at Hubris House.

NSAA Hubris had an author assembly at school and was "the second most memorable child the author has ever had in an audience." Since your friend S.H. is no dummy she didn't ask why. 

Apparently though this famous author uses almost the same process for writing as my humble self. The author also spends a great deal of time editing (duh) and researching (duh again.) While this was not even close to a revelation to me it was something of a shock to NSAA. Maybe, possibly, his mom may know what she's doing. 

Our next door neighbor died rather suddenly yesterday. I came home from the doctor's office to discover two police cars in front of my house. This was pretty unusual since we live on the quietest street in town. Since I'm insatiably curious, but like to pretend I'm not, I went out to water the plants- to be fair they were droopy. Then a hearse drove up. This was new and out of my depth. I walked over to consult with my other next door neighbor but was stopped by the lady across the street who wondered, loudly, who was dead. We figured the husband had died although the neighbor was convinced he killed himself (he had ALS and really didn't take the indignity of illness well) and his wife. Long (and embarrassing)   story short- he died in his sleep and she seems to be fine.

I was at the doctor's because I'm having some somewhat concerning problems and have to have exploratory surgery next week. With luck all will be well and I'll be able to post on time next week. If not, well, c'est la vie. I'll post the week after. I'm sure you all will survive without me for a week.


Today I am absolutely obsessed with the idea of knitting Latvian Mittens. Oh, they are so beautiful and look like so much fun to knit. 


I'm also thinking about the book. I need to polish the heck out of it because I FINALLY received the application for the MWA St. Martin's Minotaur writing contest! Yay! Once that contest is entered I'm going to try selling the book again. We'll see. Hopefully I can get it out of my system and bang out a couple more books. Something will not let me drop KMS- I do believe in the book and I know it's going to be published. Maybe after I get rejected 30 more times I'll be ready to move on? 

I'm beginning to feel inspired again. This is a good thing. I can not wait to get back to the real work of writing. 

Until I'm ready to get down to business I'm going to scour our local bookstore for a copy of Latvian Mittens: Traditional Designs and Techniques.  

Knitting complicated and beautiful things is a great way to get in touch with one's artistic side while stimulating the logic centers of the brain. It's also extremely diverting when one is recovering from surgery. 

I should also make some cookies for my recently widowed next door neighbor (the ladies on the street decided this is what I should do. One is making soup, another is bringing cake- since I'm the most junior lady on the street I get cookies. It's nice to know where I stand, have I mentioned how much I love my neighborhood?) but I'm going to hold off until this afternoon. Oatmeal raisin cookies seem appropriate or maybe ginger snaps. 

Remain well, my friends. 

Until next week,
S.H.

1 comment:

  1. I can't live without you for a week! What am I going to do?!!

    ReplyDelete