Search This Blog

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Back Where I belong

I have neglected you, blogfans, and I am sorry. 

Most of my time has been taken up by family things, knitting, sewing, and a great deal of comfort reading. Fortunately my comfort reading (anything and everything Charlotte MacLeod) has been extraordinarily helpful and inspiring; I'm just itching to get back to my normal writing routine. 


Oh and I've been writing a story for my niece and nephew. I had been reading them Junie B. Jones but couldn't stand it anymore so the kids came up with ideas and I worked them into a chapter. Then they came up with some more ideas and I worked those into another chapter. Then my snotty nephew (he's 9) refused to listen to my story because I used some of his sister's ideas. I'm not entirely sure what to do about the situation so I asked my mother to read Junie to the kids for the rest of the week (they are her grandchildren after all) to give me time to figure out what I want to do.


I'm still writing the book but I'm not sure if I want to read it to them anymore. Probably they deserve Junie B. Jones but I'm not sure I do (I love Junie, really I do, but months of her books without a break are doing a lot to change my feelings for her.) We'll see how that situation unfolds. I love my niece and nephew too but yikes! I'm starting to feel the same way about them as I do about Miss Jones.


The Claymore Dagger award will be decided soon, August 20th or something like that,* and I can't help but hope KMS will be in the top 10 even though I know it won't. I can't attend Killer Nashville this year so I'll have to find out on the website like everyone else. I am listed as a contender (w00t!) so that's cool. Hopefully all the rejection I've been getting will soften the disappointment when I lose. 


I doubt it.


Some stubborn part of me will not let KMS die. I've totally rewritten the beginning and have cut most of the extraneous stuff out of the text. My theory: if the flow of the narrative isn't affected by the cut then it needs to go unless it's related to the mystery. Mystery novels have a fair amount of extraneous seeming stuff because that's where the clues hang out. Not much of a mystery if the author cuts the narrative to the bone- the clues stick out like a smoking gun in a bad guy's hand. I guess knowing how much to leave is where the skill comes in.

I have learned that it's much easier to write the novel correctly in the first place than to fix it later but what the heck else is a learning curve for? I know I can sell KMS I just have to figure out what I need to do to get it there. See, stubborn.


And there's always the next book. 


Have a great week! Do some reading- maybe The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart =D


S.H.
* Killer Nashville finally listed the top ten and, sadly, KMS did not make the cut. It is an award for the best beginning of a mystery novel and, as N.S.S.H put it, my beginning was "like a heavily loaded freight train going up a mountain." It has since changed but time will have to tell if it has changed for the better. Onward and upward! Maybe I'll have a better book for next year.

                                   


No comments:

Post a Comment