Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

If You Can Hear Thunder You're Close Enough to be Struck by Lightning

It's been a stormy week here at Hubris House. No really, thunder and lightning every single day. 

Okay maybe figuratively too, at least in the mind of your old friend Subtle Hubris. The last two rejections of KMS hurt a lot. No feedback at all is hard to take- harder than a "hey, your book isn't ready yet- go and rewrite it." I know agents are busy and stuff but really.

I think, when I really look at the book, that there are passages I need to change or eliminate. They slow the narrative down and paint too detailed of a picture for commercial fiction (maybe for any fiction IDK 'cause I've read worse.) They just do. I should cut the first 60 pages down to about 20 and I should probably add some graphic violence and give my heroine a job since who wants to read about actual real housewives? But, know what? I don't really want to. And I don't have to. Unless I want to sell the book. Sigh.

NSSH (who likes the book) wants to have a dozen copies printed and bound but yeesh, that's just a dozen reminders that I'm not good enough to convince a real publishing person to publish me. No thanks.


I think I've mostly come to terms with KMS. I'm going to try to clean it up to enter in a contest this fall then it's getting shelved. It's not a bad book but it's a first book. The next one will be better.


The next book is NOT a nice book. It's got vampires and roller derbies and evil agents and vengeful cozy mystery writers. It has swearing and nudity (well, dissolved clothing...) It is sooo much fun to write and not really personal at all.

Maybe writing a book that portrays the people I'm supposed to kowtow to as evil vampires isn't the brightest decision but what the heck? This is why Dog made pen names.  


You know what though? At least I'm not a total sell out. And I can think of many different ways to say


"Do you want fries with that?"


And mostly I'm smart enough to stay inside when it's stormy.


Oh and hey, the epic baby blanket is down to the last knitted patch- that should be done tonight- then I'm going to crochet the whole thing together. I promise (Adam I'm talking to you) to post photos.

Here's hoping this coming week will be better than the week that's past.


S.H.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment